What you are doing wrong
Problems are almost always caused by these few things.
- Trainer having aversive qualities or behaving unpredictably.
- Not doing enough respondent conditioning
- Rewarding more than one behavior in response to a cue
- Reinforcing the wrong response
- Reinforcing inconsistent responses
- Not offering a consistent cue
- Using too many cues
- Not having a motivating reinforcer or having too much motivation
- Not delivering the consequence with contiguity
- Not consolidating the behavior before going to the next approximation
- Not reading the animal’s body language for problems
- Not preventing accidental expressions of flight responses
- Lumping too much behavior into an approximation
- Practicing undesirable behaviors.