The Magic Mustang Tamer will help you become a professional quality animal trainer using equine species as the model animals. Our course uses the textbook, “How to Train a _____”, available in our bookstore. Each module has learning exercises and a quiz to test your learning. Badges are awarded for module completion and a certificate is awarded upon completion of the program.
Prerequisites for this program are the completion of the Basics set of courses.
Become an Animal Trainer
Behavioral Observation Skills
- Accurate observation and interpretation of behaviors demonstrated by the animal.
- Application of technical ethological terms to species-specific behaviors.
- Interpretation of body language.
- Construction of contingency statement from observed behaviors.
- Awareness of personality theory and research.
- Application of behavior modification and training techniques.
- Use of scientific data and analysis to improve intervention strategies.
- Behavior data collection and analysis.
- Fluency in the language of Learning theory
- Laws of Behavior
- Operant vs. Respondent behaviors
- Fear management
- Stimulus-response relationships
- Antecedent control
- Conditioning through consequence
- Ability to apply scientific learning theory principles to intervention strategies.
- Ability to describe other trainers in terms of Learning Theory.
- Awareness of limitation of dominance theories of training.
- Basic gross anatomy.
- Elementary neurochemistry.
- Ethological terminology.
- Animal welfare.
This class is conducted at the university level. All students are assumed to be high functioning readers and capable of working at an academic level.